Pages

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I'm a happy fool

In the New Living Translation, 1 Corinthians 1:20-21 says, 'So
where does this leave the philosophers, the scholars, and the world's
brilliant debaters? God has made the wisdom of this world look
foolish. Since God in his wisdom saw to it that the world would never
know him through human wisdom, he has used our foolish preaching to
save those who believe.'

My first reaction to this was to picture God sitting in heaven &
smiling every time one of us thinks we've discovered some new wisdom.
But that doesn't quite sit right me. I believe more that God is
grieved every time one of His creation wanders off into the
intellectual world in an attempt to find the meaning of life.
God did not decide to make our wisdom foolish because He thought
it would be funny to observe our flounderings. God is simply
infinately greater than any human mind could comprehend. His wisdom
will subsequently be far beyond our grasp.
But what is astounding is that God, who's ways are above our ways,
made the choice to reveal His wisdom to us!

I learn humility from this. The infinately wise God loves me
enough to give me a leg up in my abundant lack of wisdom through the
foolishness of the preached word. Furthermore, I have been called to
be a bearer of this foolish wisdom!
I am humbled by the magnitude of my calling yet thankful that even
though I am a fool, that means I am perfect for the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment